Bookish Musings, Banter & More
Now on to what’s really important-my answers.
I’m a historical novel junkie and also love romantic comedies but it’s difficult for me to pick a book or series that I’d like to see on the big screen for a couple reasons, there are several I’d choose if I knew the movie would stay true to the book. My second reason is that I am not a huge fan of book based movies in most cases due to my experience being that the movies turn out being very and I do mean very loosely based on the book. Case in point I enjoyed both The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian but in both cases there were things that I felt went beyond the acceptable limits of artistic license in making a movie from a book. The ending scene between Susan and Caspian in the 2nd movie for one. I also felt that particular scene was just sort of tacked on and didn’t really connect to the plot of the story either.
Okay enough ranting about my issues with movies from books. Objections and pet peeves aside if I knew that the movie would stay true to the book and compliment it there is quite a list I would like to see on the big screen-primarily historicals and fantasies or a combination but then everyone has their tastes in everything including books and movies.
Here’s my list and it’s certainly not exhaustive by any means as that could go on for ages and ages without reaching an end.
* Tricia Goyer’s Spanish Civil War series: A Valley of Betrayal, A Shadow of Treason and A Whisper of Freedom
* Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin
* Lisa T Bergren’s Novels of the Gifted series: The Begotten, The Betrayed and The Blessed
* Jeffrey Overstreet’s Auralia Thread series: Auralia’s Colors and Cyndere’s Midnight
* Goldeneyes by Delia Latham
* Bryan Davis’ Echoes From the Edge series: Beyond the Reflection’s Edge and The Edge of Eternity
* Stephen Lawhead’s King Raven Trilogy: Hood, Scarlet and Tuck(book coming in 2009)
* Michael Phillips’ The Secret of the Rose series: Eleventh Hour, A Rose Remembered, Escape to Freedom and Dawn of Liberty
As for casting, directors and soundtracks I’ll leave all that to the pros who I hope would give me a pleasant surprise in how well they convert my favorites. Looking forward to seeing what others have to say about this as well.